The CAC Advantage
CAC can offer the most competitive steel rebate offering in the local market because it has built-in advantages that are unusual in our industry. They are:
- Market capacity. CAC has a longstanding, direct export customers; only 1/3 of its active trading market is served with existing metal supply.
- Reliance on small buyers. CAC is able to ship to smaller customers not served by bulk exporters. This protects CAC from market risk in dealing with large buyers or a few large trading companies: CAC maintains its own market.
- Shipping company relationships. CAC’s long history with Evergreen, Hanjin, Hyundai, Yangming, Cosco and other shipping lines give CAC preferred-customer treatment and prices.
- Container availability. CAC has the rare distinction amongst local yards to get “guaranteed availability” from major container companies. Yards shipping lower volumes can suffer costly waits for container availability.
- Yard Experience. CAC’s yards has been operating at scale since 2009.
- Yard capacity. CAC maintains capacity of more than 20,000 tonnes per month for large projects.
- Safety programs. CAC is a member of PICS and is COR-certified.
- Environmental program. CAC’s environmental program was reviewed in its successful bid to become the primary materials handler for large projects with the BC Government and a leading oilsands operator.
- Your Trucking Distance. CAC’s yard is centrally located in Edmonton on 76th ave between 34st and 17st.
- Rail/ship distance. CAC puts materials on rail less than 32km from its yards. A shipment through Edmonton to Asia is transported as follows: 0.3% by truck, 11.4% by rail, and 88.3% by ship – among of the safest ratios in the scrap industry.
- Safety of container exports. Containers are less likely to leak or cause other hazards compared against bulk shipping.
- Financial Capacity. CAC maintains a seven-figure line of credit, which is available for to support major project operations.
- Insurance. CAC maintains $10 million of general liability insurance.
- Trailer Ownership. CAC maintains its own fleet of 40 container chassis and 19 materials trailers, including bunk flatbeds and Super-B extended trailers.
- Dedicated dispatch. Hauling is managed by CAC’s full-time dispatcher to minimize downtimes.
- Qualified hauler history. CAC has been working for four years with its dedicated hauling subcontractors, which comply with CAC’s safety program and have had no accidents.
- Internal handling capacity/training. CAC does not subcontract any operations in its yard – all cutting and handling is done by CAC-trained staff, ensuring compliance with policies and a consistent, efficiency-oriented culture.
- Handling at site. CAC typically handles almost all materials at its Edmonton site. CAC maintains offsite demolition capability where required.
- Own machinery. CAC maintains almost all of its own machinery, minimizing safety and efficiency risks associated with rented or contracted machinery